Thursday, January 27, 2011

First Sewing Lesson

Yesterday I undertook my first sewing lesson - as the teacher.  Arrggghhh, who would have thought that I'd be teaching someone else to sew. (I tend to see myself as a little unconventional when I sew - I don't really follow instructions and tend to make things up or modify things a bit) Anyway back to the story, it was for my oldest nephew.  He was stitching his name on some heshon with wool when I was visiting the other day and was a little concerned that the back wasn't very neat.  So I suggested sewing a back on it to cover it up.  And of course this meant I had a job of helping him to do it.  In fact - teaching him to do it himself.  During the discussion, it ended up becoming a wall hanging and needing tabs to hang etc.  The project just kept growing.  Our Australia Day Holiday was the perfect time to get together and do some sewing.

I think the cutting and ironing part was a bit boring - boys really don't find these things interesting or important so focus wasn't very high at this point.




Boys just want to get the machine going - you can see how focused he is now!! He did a great job - even learned how to go slow. His stitching was really straight and looked great. I was super impressed by how he remembered things like when to reverse and holding threats when you start etc. Particularly because these are things I still forget to do.
  

I think he is happy with the finished project
Wonder what we might make together next??

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for spending the time with Lach to do that project. He is sooo proud of it. The next project was nearly going to be a new school shirt. He got up early and started ironing his uniform and then came in all worried that he'd burnt it! Focus hey...maybe if I could get an iron that was motorised! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done - to both of you. Daniel connected with the sewing machine so quickly; I think because he saw it simply as a 'machine'! I'm interested to see what you do next with Lach - Daniel enjoyed making bags - even designing his own bag.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to 'chat' with me!