Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mum Encouragement

Today I read a blog that made me stop and think about what is important. It is by one of my favourite authors Sally Clarkson. It is called 'Today, I will take time to...'

Here is Sally's list - I want it to be my list too!

  • I would stop in the midst of my chores to listen to a boy-joke being shared and I would laugh out-loud and tell them they were so much fun.
  • I would stop unloading the groceries when my husband is talking to me and look deeply into his eyes and listen to what he is saying, communicating with my whole self, “You are such a treasure to me. I want to know what you are thinking and feeling and dreaming.”
  • I would take the moment to tossle a head as I am passing through a room and say, “I am so blessed to have you as my very own child. You make me so happy, just being you.”
  • I would stop what I am doing, to go outside to look at a “treasure” when I hear, “Hey, Mama, come look!”–an apple blossom blooming on our very first apple tree or a worm on the grass or whatever had capture their curiosity.
  • I would camp more outside on our deck and cuddle up under the sleeping bags more often to marvel at the stars and the one who made them.
  • I would open my eyes to take a snapshot of today–just as it is–with boy noises, loud discussions, toys being played with intently, piano being practiced, thoughts being shared, messes coming and going..
  • Instead of giving advice when a child is opening their heart through tears, I would listen with a sorrowful, sympathetic heart and take seriously what they were feeling, instead of mentally planning that the clothes in the dryer need to be folded.
  • I would laugh more, worry less, lecture only on rare occasions, overlook messes instead of wasting my time being neurotic, notice the fingerprints of my maker in the moments of my days, and cherish those few years when we were all home, together, being the Clarksons and celebrating life.

Wow - doesn't that make you see what really matters in life. Our kids grow up so quick and yet as we are in the moment it seems like it will last forever. But it won't. So I am going to try and stop and remember what is important each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to 'chat' with me!